Hosting Clik / NICEIC Software In The Cloud
With more people working from home, we understand that Clik is vital to the operation of a large part of the service industry, and want to give you as many options as possible.
We previously discussed how to run Clik / the NICEIC software from home via VPN or using Clik Remote Manager. This solution is like VPN, but you install Clik on a hosted cloud server instead (typically running the Microsoft Azure platform) rather than your own one.
This will give you all the functionality and speed of our desktop software, plus the connectivity of a cloud environment; potentially the optimum solution currently available to the service industry. It’s especially worth considering if you’re looking to do away with your own server or if your current VPN connection isn’t quick enough. Also for heavy admin users working from home who need Clik’s functionality day to day, and anything over a web browser isn’t viable.
It works by every office user logging into the cloud server from their machine via Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and using Clik in the same way as if it’s installed in your office.
There are a few advantages to this:
- You no longer need to own and manage your own server, and it’s security.
- You are no longer responsible for your server to be always running.
- Speed-wise it can be lightning-quick, potentially faster than if Clik / the NICEIC software was installed in your own office.
You do need to pay for the rented cloud server (this is usually a monthly cost). Like VPN, Clik itself doesn’t set this up for you, but your existing IT support company may already be able to do this. The main requirement is that it gives you access to a full Windows environment (such as Azure), so you get a physical desktop which you can then run Clik on.
Regarding speed, we’ve had clients who have said it’s quicker than Clik being in their own office. This is due to a couple of things:
- The machine itself will be physically in a controlled/secure server centre, which generally has the fastest available internet and hardware speed
- The server will be of a high spec and is doing all the work; so it’s likely if it’s more powerful than your existing hardware (and your internet is adequate)
Brian at FME Services Ltd says: ‘We’re very happy with it, the stocktake for our large products database used to take 8-10 minutes, after installing Clik on an Azure server this is now down to 2 minutes. The general speed is lightning quick’.
We’ll be bringing some case studies on how this has worked for companies in the coming weeks, but in summary, you currently have 3 options to use your office Clik from home:
- Logging into your own server/pc via VPN
- Clik Remote Manager via the web
- Logging into Clik via a cloud server
Written by Ed Gunner, Account Manager